There’s nothing quite like the confusion a man feels when he looks down at his penis and sees it’s discolored. Not only is it aesthetically jarring, but also can be a cause for anxiety. Whether the penis in question is purple, deep red, spotty, or develops peeling and sores, it’s a cause for concern and quick thinking. Many causes of penis discoloration are not serious and can be easily treated at home; however, there are some that require medical attention. The following are some of the things that men should look out for when penis discoloration becomes noticeable.
1) Post Inflammatory Hyperpigmentation - If a man has noticed his skin starting to darken, it could be Post Inflammatory Hyperpigmentation, which is just an overproduction of melanin in the penis area. This issue usually follows events like aggressive masturbation or sex or an injury. Most times it can simply be treated with retinol or microdermabrasion and often, it fades with time.
2) Bruising - Bruising of the penis after an injury can cause the skin in the delicate area to darken or to take on a purple, blue or even greenish appearance. While minor bruises shouldn’t cause concern, any sudden blows or impacts to a penis, in sports or sex, could result in a penis fracture and should be treated immediately by a trusted medical professional.
3) STD/STIs - Sorry to say, but if a man is seeing purple sores, it may be genital herpes or syphilis. If he is also suffering from some other symptoms like pain, fever, fatigue, itchiness, and burning in the area, he should get tested and treated immediately. The best way to avoid catching an STD/STI is to practice safe sex or abstinence and have an open dialogue with partners about sexual health.
4) Purpura - Seeing purple or reddish blemishes on the penis? It could be purpura. Purpura is a direct result of an underlying condition that may include a bleeding or clotting issue, medication side effects, blood vessel inflammation or nutritional deficits. See a doctor to get more information.
5) Hematoma - A hematoma is like a bruise taken to the next level, except it happens deep within the tissue of an organ. The bruising is firm or lumpy to the touch as blood from the damaged vessel pools under the skin. Hematomas can cause a loss of blood flow and can also be quite dangerous. It’s advised that a man who thinks he has a hematoma get medical care immediately.
6) Stevens-Johnson Syndrome - Allergic reactions happen all the time and to every part of the body and the penis is no different. However, if the penis discoloration is a persistent purple, it’s possible the man may have had a severe allergic reaction to medication and as a result, developed Stevens-Johnson syndrome. The syndrome is characterized by a purple or red rash on the penis and can also appear on other parts of the body. If the rash develops into peeling skin and sores, proceed to emergency care as life-endangering complications can happen. There are certain medications who are more likely to cause Stevens-Johnson and they are sulfa-based antibiotics, ibuprofen, anticonvulsants, antipsychotics, naproxen, and antibiotics. Anyone who believes he has Stevens-Johnson Syndrome should see a doctor immediately.
7) Eczema or Psoriasis - Men who have psoriasis or eczema on other parts of their bodies may also develop symptoms on the penis. Treating the affected area with vitamins A and E is sometimes helpful in addition to prescription medications.
Soothing the itch and healing the skin
Regardless of the source of the problem, maintaining good penile health is always a step in the right direction for keeping issues causing penis discoloration away. Wash with a gentle soap, being sure to generously clean all parts of the penis, and rinse well.
After cleansing the skin, apply a specially formulated penis health crème (health professionals recommend Man 1 Man Oil, which has been clinically proven safe and mild for skin) . These specially formulated cremes keep the penis hydrated and healthy. Be sure it contains a natural hydration like Shea butter as a base for luxuriously soft skin. Also, cremes with added ingredients such as vitamins A, C, D, and E, which are noted for their skin-soothing and healing properties are ideal for penis health.