There’s nothing quite like being in a deep conversation with someone and then seeing them scratch their junk. However, penis itches are sometimes necessary, because they can strike at any time and with great intensity. So, what makes a man’s penis itch, and how can he prevent it? Here are some common causes of an itchy penis and how to get much-needed relief in those uncomfortable moments when the crotch is creeping.
1) Poor Grooming Habits –Think about all the dirt, debris, bacteria, sweat, and emissions that can collect in the genital region. Now let it all marinate for day or more. If a man isn’t washing thoroughly and regularly, that funk is going to do more than smell. It’s going to get infected, peel the skin, and cause massive itching and pain.
2) Contact Dermatitis – When a man comes in direct contact with an allergen or irritating substance it can cause itching because it activates the histamines in the body. Things like detergents, soaps, latex, and medications can all cause a reaction. Many times, penis itches are additionally accompanied by a rash. If the itch is minor, cleansing the area and treating it with a cortisone crème may help. If it is more serious, seek medical attention.
3) Genital Warts – This is a sexually transmitted disease (STI) caused by a viral infection. Warts often show up on the glans penis, the foreskin, shaft, and entire pubic area. Warts may also have a discharge which causes the penis itches. See a medical professional or clinic ASAP for treatment.
4) Candida – Anyone can get a Candida yeast infection; it’s not just for the ladies. Candida normally occurs in the skin and mucous membranes; however, when it overgrows, it causes uncomfortable and annoying symptoms such as itching, rash, swelling, and lumpy white discharge. While not a sexually transmitted disease, it can be transmitted during intimate contact. What causes thrush most times is overuse of antibiotics, diabetes, poor circulation, and immunosuppression. See a doctor for treatment.
5) Crabby Downunder – Commonly known as “crabs,” pubic lice are tiny little parasites that attach themselves to pubic hair. They are spread by intimate contact with an infected person. While itching is the main symptom, other symptoms include bloodstains and black dots, which are the “crab” feces being left behind. For immediate relief see a doctor, or if one is not available, use an over-the-counter lotion or anti-lice shampoo in the interim.
Getting Relief from an Itchy Penis
No matter the cause of the problem, it is always a bad idea to scratch at the delicate penis skin – it’s just like chicken pox that way. When the skin is scratched, it can leave tiny tears in the outer dermal layer, which can not only make the situation worse but can also welcome bacteria and other organisms into the skin.
Instead of itching, men who suffer from penis itches should wash the area gently to remove any substances which may be causing irritation. Be sure to cleanse with a mild cleanser like baby wash and rinse thoroughly with lukewarm water as hot water can also further irritate the skin. Avoid using body wash or harsh soap on the irritated genital area as it may be too tender and cause more damage.
After cleansing the skin, apply a specially formulated penis health creme (health professionals recommend Man 1 Man Oil, which has been clinically proven safe and mild for skin) to the penis. These nutrient-rich crèmes have a natural base, like Shea butter, that moisturizes and soothes itchy skin once applied. The addition of vitamins such as A, B5, C, D, and E also bring rejuvenating and restoring properties to sensitive genital skin, leaving it soft and irritation-free and less susceptible to drying and itchiness in the future.