A penis health cream can be a great addition to a man’s personal care routine, providing vital nourishment to the area for a healthier appearance and even increased sensitivity. As with any personal care product, it is important to be aware of the benefits of a penile cream, as well as any potential side effects. Nine of the most common ingredients are described here in terms of how they impact penis health.
1) Vitamin A – Also known as retinol, this ingredient is widely found in skin care and cosmetic products. It can reduce the symptoms associated with acne, eczema, and psoriasis and may reduce the appearance of wrinkles. It can also help block the damaging UVB rays from the sun and may increase sperm count in men.
While generally safe when used as recommended, vitamin A can cause serious side effects when taken by mouth, including irritability, sleeplessness, vomiting, loss of consciousness and liver damage. When applied topically, overuse may cause drying of the skin.
2) Vitamin B5 – Vitamin B5, or pantothenic acid, is important to many functions of the body and is an essential ingredient for healthy skin. It is often used in preparations used for treating psoriasis, diaper rash and poison ivy.
B5 is counterindicated for patients with hemophilia, as it can extend the time it takes for bleeding to stop.
3) Vitamin C – This powerhouse of a nutrient is essential for healthy circulatory tissue and is an important component of collagen, the tissue that is responsible for giving the skin it’s natural elasticity and supple texture. It is also an antioxidant, which means it fights the oxidative process that can cause early signs of aging, as well as the cellular changes that may lead to cancerous tumors.
In isolated cases, excessive topical use of vitamin C can lead to dryness and flaking of the skin; this can generally be addressed by using a quality moisturizer.
4) Vitamin D – This nutrient is involved in the reproduction of skin cells and is critical to the cellular renewal process. Use of vitamin D can lead to softer, more supple, youthful-looking skin.
A small number of individuals may experience dryness, itching or burning when applying vitamin D to the skin. The issue usually resolves on its own.
5) Vitamin E – This ingredient promotes healing and hydration and is often used in treating psoriasis and eczema. Like vitamin C, it is also an antioxidant with skin-protective qualities.
6) Most people do not experience any side effects from topical application of vitamin E.
7) Acetyl L carnitine – This amino acid, also known as ALCAR, has important benefits for overall health and is critical to healthy cell metabolism. It also helps to improve the appearance of the skin and reduce the signs of aging.
ALCAR may cause side effects when taken orally; these may include stomach pain, nausea, skin rash and a fishy breath odor.
8) L Arginine – Another amino acid and a building block for proteins, L arginine is related to healthy erectile function. As a cream, it is often used by men and women for treating sexual problems.
There are no known side effects of L arginine when applied to the skin, but it should not be used on cuts or broken skin.
9) Alpha lipoic acid – Also called ALA, this nutrient has anti-inflammatory properties and is believed to support anti-aging and overall skin healh.
Few side effects have been reported from topical use of ALA.
10) Natural moisturizers such as Shea butter. Shea butter is a plant-based emollient derived from the oil of the Shea tree. It has been used for centuries for treating skin injuries such as burns, cuts and abrasions, and it appears to have anti-aging properties, as well. Individuals with psoriasis or eczema may also benefit from Shea butter.
Shea butter has no known side effects when applied topically and appears to be safe for most individuals
What to look for in a quality penis care product
Aside from the list of ingredients outlined above, men should look for the following when choosing a product for daily penile care:
1) Where was the product manufactured? The best bet is to opt for products that are formulated in FDA-regulated labs in order to ensure that industry standards for safety and quality are being met.
2) Are there any known allergens? Most penile care formulas are safe for most consumers; however, men who have known allergies (or who have partners with allergies) should ask for a full list of ingredients and be on the lookout for anything that might trigger a reaction.
3) Is there a money-back guarantee? No one wants to shell out good money on a product that doesn’t work – opt to buy from sellers who back up their products with a money-back guarantee.
Is the product specifically intended for use on the penis? Many men make the mistake of using regular hand or body lotions on the penile skin. While the active ingredients in these are often similar, body lotions may contain alcohol or chemical-based fragrances that are irritating to the penis skin. A penis health crème (health professionals recommend Man1 Man Oil) that is designed specifically for application on the penile skin will be free of additives that can be too harsh for this delicate area.